Directions & Information
- Driving to the NMC from Santa Fe
- Northern New Mexico Transportation Options
- Public Transportation within Los Alamos
- Airline Service to New Mexico
- Lodging Options in Los Alamos
- Information on Los Alamos
Getting to NMC Offices in the Los Alamos Research Park (LARP). (4200 West Jemez Rd) You reach Los Alamos from the South by taking 285 to Pojoaque and I-NM-502 West in to Los Alamos. There are two ways into Los Alamos. If you continue on NM-502, it will turn into East Road, then Trinity Drive as you enter Los Alamos. After you have passed through the town, you arrive at the intersection of Trinity Drive and Diamond Drive. Make a left turn on Diamond Drive. Continue on southbound Diamond Drive/NM-501, cross the gorge bridge, then make the first right turn immediately after the bridge into Los Alamos Research Park parking lot.
As you climb the hill up the mesa to Los Alamos on NM 502, you have the option of leaving NM 502 (Main Hill Road) and taking NM 501 (the truck route). The truck route is a less scenic but faster route to LARP and preferred for individuals with acrophobia.
It is tricky to get to the parking lot at the research park where NMC is located from NM 501. Study the map closely before you enter Los Alamos. In order to get to the research part parking lot from NM 501, you will need to cross the Los Alamos Bridge, make a U-turn, and enter the parking lot from southbound Diamond Drive/NM-501. There is no left turn from northbound Diamond Drive/NM-501. Alternately, follow West Jemez Rd. and park in the LANL parking structure across West Jemez Rd from the NMC building.
Getting to the NMC Biological Laboratory. (100 Entrada Drive) You reach Los Alamos from the South by taking 285 to Pojoaque and NM-502 West in to Los Alamos. To get to the NMC Biological Laboratory, continue on NM-502 until you reach the top of the Mesa. 502 becomes East Road. The NMC Biology Laboratories are on your right, before you reach the airport, between the Los Alamos Coop and the Holiday Inn.
Flights between Los Alamos and Albuquerque. The Los Alamos airport is now offering flights between Los Alamos in Albuquerque. View the Los Alamos airport webpage to see schedules.
Rental Car. Enterprise, Hertz and National provide service in Los Alamos out of the Los Alamos Airport. All three companies allow one way rentals between the Los Alamos Airport and the Albuquerque. It’s a 100 mile drive from Albuquerque to Los Alamos and takes about two hours. Hertz and Enterprise also have offices in Santa Fe.
Park-n-Ride.The New Mexico Department of Transportation Park-n-Ride service has over 80 daily departures between the Los Alamos, Santa Fe and Albuquerque. The cost ranges from $2-3. The Park-n-Ride website provides information regarding schedules, pick-up and drop-off locations, days of operations, and monthly pass information.
Look for the link to the Northern NM Park and Ride Schedule for the current schedule. The Park-n-Ride Purple line provides connecting service from Los Alamos to the new Rail Runner train service between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. The Blue Line provides service to downtown Santa Fe.
New Mexico Rail Runner. The New Mexico Rail Runner is a light rail that provides service between Albuquerque and Santa Fe Monday through Friday with limited service on Saturday and Sunday. Fares are less than $10.
Rail Runner Airport Connection. If you fly into the Albuquerque International Sunport, you can take Albuquerque city bus route 222 or route 50 (on weekends) to the Rail Runner, then take the Rail Runner to Santa Fe. The NM Park-n-Ride service provides connections between some trains and Los Alamos.
Private Shuttle Services
Sandia Shuttle (between Albuquerque and Santa Fe)
- Leaves Albuquerque every hour beginning at 8:45 AM
- Leaves Santa Fe every hour beginning at 5:00 AM
Destinations: Stops at all hotels in Santa Fe
Roadrunner Shuttle & Charter (From Albuquerque or Santa Fe to Los Alamos)
Availability: Open 7 days a week
Hours of Operation: 24 hours daily
- Pick-up by reservation only - call 505.424.3367 or book online at www.rideroadrunner.com.
- Cost Shared Ride Shuttle: $90.00 from Albuquerque Airport to Los Alamos, $65.00 from Santa Fe Area to Los Alamos, based on reservations and availability.
- Cost Private Ride Transportation 1 to 3 Passengers, car + gratuity included (available 24 hours daily): $215.00 Albuquerque Airport to Los Alamos, $155.00 Santa Fe Area to Los Alamos.
- Pick-up at Albuquerque Airport is lower level baggage claim across from Carousel #3.
- Pick-up at Santa Fe Airport is across from airlines' ticket counters. Transportation services available from anywhere in Santa Fe.
- Destinations: Shuttle service between Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Espanola and all surrounding areas. Private service available throughout the entire state of New Mexico.
Private Taxi Service. An Albuquerque yellow cab will take you to Los Alamos for $150. This can be the cheapest option after a rental car when schedules do not permit the use of other public transportation.
- Albuquerque Cab Company (505) 883-4888
- Yellow Cab (505) 247-8888
- Checker Cab Company (505) 243-7777
Atomic City Transit. Atomic City Transit provides a free bus service for all of Los Alamos County. The buses run from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m on LANL work days only. More information is available at the Atomic City Transit web site.
The Atomic City Bus from the Los Alamos Research Park NMC offices to the NMC Biological Laboratory leaves on the half hour and takes about 20 minutes. This link shows the bus route:
- LA Taxi provides taxi service around Los Alamos. Call 505-250-8943
- LANL also provides a free taxi service to all Laboratory sites for LANL employees and LANL visitors. This service is available during normal work hours (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Call 667-TAXI (667-8294) to make arrangements. The LANL taxi service is only for official Laboratory business. LANL taxis will not transport students to their homes or to non-business locations.
Albuquerque is served by several major carriers.
Santa Fe Municipal Airport is an hour closer and very convenient however service is limited and changes all the time. The Santa Fe Tourist Bureau does a good job tracking which airline is currently providing service.
Los Alamos Municipal Airport currently has 3 flights daily to Albuquerque on weekdays and one flight daily to Albuquerque on weekends. For information go to www.flylosalamos.com.
Here are some lodging options in the Los Alamos area. NMC Reception is available to assist with finding lodging in Los Alamos.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Alamos (505) 661-1110 The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Alamos is located on NM 502 near the Los Alamos Airport. It is next to the NMC Biological Laboratory. It is a 5 minute drive from town and a 10 minute drive from the NMC Research Park offices and LANL. Free bus service to LANL is available. Although this hotel is outside of town, it is one of the two new chain hotels.
North Road Inn (505) 662-3678This B&B provides suites with kitchens. 5 minute drive from both NMC facilities and with free bus connections.
Hampton Inn White Rock (505) 672-3838 This is one of two modern chain hotels in Los Alamos. This hotel is located in White Rock, which is about a 20 minute drive from either NMC location or LANL. Atomic City Transit provides bus service between White Rock and Los Alamos on business days.
If your trip is sponsored by the NMC, NMC will reimburse for government rates at these hotels. If the room rate exceeds government rate, you are responsible for the difference. Contact your NMC host with any questions.
Other Local hotels or bed & breakfasts may have monthly rates
- Canyon Inn Bed & Breakfast, 505-662-9595
- Central Avenue Corporate Suites, 505-662-0620
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 505-661-1110
- Motel 6, 505-662-7211
- Pueblo Canyon Inn & Gallery, 505-412-3367 (Monthly rentals only)
- Virtual Los Alamos
- Los Alamos Monitor
- Plateau Property Management
- Courtright Apartments 505-662-5430
- Remax Los Alamos
- Facebook Group: Los Alamos NM Rentals
- LANL Student Housing Information
- Los Alamos Housing Site
- UNM Apartments website
- Craig's list Santa Fe housing info
NMC Albuquerque Office
The NMC office for NMC employees based out of Albuquerque is located at 6721 Academy Rd. NE, Suite A, Albuquerque, NM 87109
For information on living in Los Alamos such as recreation, dining, county services, education, communication, the arts and weather, click here.