2019 Summer Physics Camp for Young Women
Northern New Mexico
June 10-21, 2019
Los Alamos National Laboratory, the New Mexico Consortium, Pojoaque Valley and Los Alamos Public Schools are organizing a two-week Summer Physics Camp for Young Women in Northern New Mexico. The camp will focus on boosting understanding of the physics of the Sun, Earth, and everything in between. The students will also be introduced on how to write their resume, how to interview for a job, and how to make some tasks fun by learning the basics of computer programming. Students will also be introduced to a variety of opportunities for internships at LANL and in local New Mexico Colleges.
The application process for this summer camp is now complete.
The 2019 camp will have 22 attendees this year who all went through a competitive application process. The camp received 36 applications from 17 different schools in 8 different school districts. This camp interacts with over 40 intrepid volunteers from the science-interested community in Northern New Mexico.
When is the camp? June 10-21 Monday through Friday from 9am to 3:30pm
Where is it located? Pojoaque Valley High School
What are the benefits? This summer camp is FREE to students and lunch will be provided. Participants who complete the program will receive a stipend. Transportation from NM Park and Ride Depot in Pojoaque (Cities of Gold parking area) can be arranged.
- This camp is for young women attending high school in Northern New Mexico.
- You must have completed Algebra I or a higher level math course.
Application deadline: April 15, 2019
How to apply:
- Send us a letter expressing why you are interested in this program, how you believe this program will be useful to you, and your current career interests.
- Ask a teacher from your school to send us a letter supporting your participation.
- Ask your school to send us your high school transcript or equivalent that shows you have completed Algebra I or higher.
- All documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2019.
- Learn more at www.lanl.gov/student-internships/high school/womens/summer/physics/camp.php
- Contact Josefina Salazar 505-665-0987
- Email email@example.com
Interested in becoming a sponsor?
The success of the Summer Physics Camp depends on our wonderful sponsors. We appreciate the support and do our best in exhibiting their business. Sponsorship is tax deductible. Contact:
New Mexico Consortium Inc.
Attn: Thea Vernon-SPCYW
4200 West Jemez Rd., Suite 301
Los Alamos, NM 87544