It’s time to register for the 2021 Summer Physics Camp for Young Women! This camp for high school women of Northern and Central New Mexico offers a unique opportunity to explore what it is like to have careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
This FREE summer camp will be held virtually June 7-18, Monday-Friday, from 10 a.m. to noon and 1-4 p.m.
The camp focuses on boosting student’s understanding of how STEM allows us to accomplish what was unimaginable just a few years ago: explore Mars, understanding the origins of the universe during the Big Bang , decipher how the building blocks of life fold and unfold, COVID-19 behavior and vaccines, and programming and building robots just for fun!
Camp students will also learn skills such as resume writing, programming, and building a computer. Students will also be given virtual tours of research facilities and will be introduced to opportunities like internships at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) and at local New Mexico colleges.
Daily activities will include demonstrations, hands-on experiments, engineering and programming and robotics projects, presentations, professional development activities and, discussions with female scientists and engineers from LANL.
To learn more see the 2021 Summer Physics Camp for Young Women Flyer.
Information on the Camp:
When? June 7-18, Monday-Friday, from 10 a.m. to noon and 1-4 p.m.
What? Virtual tours, lectures, hands-on demonstrations, and interactive projects in Robotics, Coding and Engineering
Where? The camp will take place virtually.
Benefits? This summer camp is FREE to students. Participants who complete the program will be provided a stipend.
- Young women in Northern and Central New Mexico
- Completion of Algebra I or higher-level math course is needed Note: Acceptance is NOT based on grades or GPA.
- Application deadline Friday April 9, 2021:
How to Apply:
Acceptance to the camp is NOT based on grade point average or specific grades.
- Fill out the application at https://forms.gle/jQtkPaooF3pkHuPq8?_imcp=1. You will be asked to write a short essay: Who are you? Why are you interested in this camp? How do you believe this program will be useful to you? What are your current interests? What do you think you would like to do as a career in the future (if you know it)?
- Ask a teacher/counselor to send a reference letter explaining why they think this camp will benefit you.
- Send email with copies of school transcripts showing you have Algebra I level of math.
Documents requested (2 and 3) need to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any issues with the requested application, please let us know by sending an email to: email@example.com
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact: Josefina Salazar, 505-665-0987.
See the 2021 Summer Physics Camp for Young Women flyer for more information!
The 2021 Summer Physics Camp for Young Women is sponsored by the New Mexico Consortium, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), TRIAD, LANL Foundation, N3B, Sandia National Laboratory, IEEE Los Alamos Northern New Mexico Section, TechSource and the Athena Engineering Scholars Program.
Interested in becoming a sponsor?
Donations can be sent to: New Mexico Consortium, 4200 West Jemez Rd., Suite 301, Los Alamos, NM 87544. Attention: Teri Thomas-SPCYW. Donations are tax deductible.