Apply Now to the Dr. G. Robert Keepin Nonproliferation Science Summer Program
Los Alamos National Laboratory will be hosting its annual Dr. G. Robert Keepin Nonproliferation Science Summer Program during the summer of 2023. The 8-week intensive schedule will consist of hands-on training, complete with seminars and tours as well as a research internship. This program brings together 20 of the best university students and a handful of experts in the nonproliferation world, exposing everyone to the unique facilities that LANL has to offer.
Students will spend the majority of their time working either individually or in small teams with a Los Alamos staff member on a research project that has a strong connection to nuclear security science and nonproliferation.
This program includes seminars and weekly enrichment in nuclear nonproliferation concepts and R&D efforts will provide broad exposure to the LANL mission space.
- Hands-on training at the LANL safeguards laboratory where all IAEA inspectors train
- Tour of the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center (LANSCE) Accelerator as well as the Proton Radiography facility
- Tour of the Dual-Axis Radiographic Hydrodynamic Test (DARHT) facility, critical to performing tests that can assess the nation’s nuclear stockpile
- Tours of various Sandia National Laboratory Facilities
- Tours of various Atomic and Nuclear Museums (Los Alamos, Albuquerque)
Eligibility: The program is designed for students from the Nuclear Science and Security Consortium. NSSC students should contact their faculty advisor or the NSSC Program Manager to express interest in the program. A limited number of seats are available for students from outside the Consortium. Participants must be U.S. citizens enrolled in accredited full-time upper-level undergraduate or graduate programs in science & engineering or relevant fields. Preference will be given to graduate-level students.
Cost: Tuition is free for all accepted participants. Acceptance into the Summer Program comes with a standard paid internship, commensurate with academic level.
The deadline for applications is December 5th, 2022.
See the official flyer for application information and more details on the program.